- 4.1: Accellent
- 4.2: A.T.U.
- 4.3: Bharti Infratel
- 4.4: Biomet
- 4.5: Bis Industries Limited
- 4.6: Capsugel
- 4.7: Dalmia Bharat Cement
- 4.8: Del Monte Foods
- 4.9: Dollar General
- 4.10: First Data
- 4.11: HCA
- 4.12: KION Group
- 4.13: MMI
- 4.14: Oriental Brewery
- 4.16: Pets at Home
- 4.17: PRIMEDIA, Inc.
- 4.18: Sealy
- 4.19: SunGard
- 4.20: Tarkett
- 4.21: TDC A/S
- 4.22: US Foods
- 4.23: Van Gansewinkel Groep
- 4.24: Versatel
- 4.25: Visant
- 4.26: WILD Flavors
Estimated cumulative Results (2010-2011)
- $3.8Min avoided energy costs
- 44,000METRIC TONS OF GHG EMISSIONS AVOIDED
- 26%ghg EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENT
First Data is a leading provider of electronic commerce and payment solutions for merchants, financial institutions and card issuers globally, with operations in 34 countries, serving more than 6 million merchant locations and 4,000 financial institutions.
Key Environmental Performance Area:
Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Facilities)
In 2011, as part of the Green Portfolio Program, First Data continued measuring and managing energy consumption in its United States-based data centers against a 2009 performance baseline.
Since 2009, in absolute terms, GHG emissions from data centers have decreased approximately 10% compared to a 2009 baseline, while efficiency has improved approximately 26% (GHGs/transaction) during the same time period. The improvements in efficiency have helped First Data to avoid approximately $3.8 million in costs and an estimated 44,000 metric tons of GHG emissions since 2009.
First Data: Data Center GHG Efficiency Results (2009 Baseline)
|Avoided GHGs (metric tons)||
|Change in productivity - GHGs/transaction number (%)||
|Change in absolute GHGs (%)||
In 2011, First Data achieved these results through the following practices:
- Refitted computer room A/C units enabled First Data to raise the air temperature being discharged across the space, which reduced the need for additional humidity control without having an impact on cold air supply for hardware
- Modified core cooling controls to improve cooling efficiency by operating cooling equipment at a more efficient section of the performance curve
- Continued consolidation activities
In 2012 and 2013, First Data is continuing to focus on the efficiency of its data centers and is currently considering or actively implementing the following additional practices:
- Replacing legacy cooling equipment with more energy efficient equipment
- Modifying control scheme to align with high efficient equipment being installed
- Designing advance controls for HVAC equipment supporting data centers, infrastructure spaces, and general building space
- Installing additional monitoring points thereby providing a more detailed picture of what the data center is using compared to general building space
First Data enrolled in the Green Portfolio Program in 2010 and is reporting results for the second time. Learn more about First Data’s commitment at their corporate social responsibility website.
Note: Reported numbers are rounded and may not produce the same results when used to analyze percent changes or total impact.
For more information on KKR’s responsible investment efforts, go to www.kkr2011esg.com.