- 4.1: Accellent
- 4.2: A.T.U.
- 4.3: Bharti Infratel
- 4.4: Biomet
- 4.5: Bis Industries Limited
- 4.6: Capsugel
- 4.7: Dalmia Bharat Cement
- 4.8: Del Monte Foods
- 4.9: Dollar General
- 4.10: First Data
- 4.11: HCA
- 4.12: KION Group
- 4.13: MMI
- 4.14: Oriental Brewery
- 4.16: Pets at Home
- 4.17: PRIMEDIA, Inc.
- 4.18: Sealy
- 4.19: SunGard
- 4.20: Tarkett
- 4.21: TDC A/S
- 4.22: US Foods
- 4.23: Van Gansewinkel Groep
- 4.24: Versatel
- 4.25: Visant
- 4.26: WILD Flavors
Estimated Cumulative Results (2010-2011)
- $474Kin avoided energy costs
- 4,600tons of GHG emissions avoided
- 12%GHG efficiency improvement
Accellent provides fully integrated outsourced manufacturing and engineering services to the medical device industry. Accellent enrolled in KKR’s Green Portfolio Program in 2009 and is focusing on improving energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing facilities, which represent the company’s largest source of energy use.
Key Environmental Performance Area:
Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Facilities)
In 2011, Accellent continued actively measuring and managing energy consumption in five of its manufacturing facilities against a 2009 baseline.1
In absolute terms, in 2011 GHG emissions from facilities increased slightly by approximately 2%, compared to 2009, while efficiency improved by approximately 12% (GHGs/$ revenue) over the same time period. This efficiency improvement has helped Accellent to avoid approximately $474,000 in electricity costs and almost 4,600 metric tons of GHG emissions compared to 2009.
Accellent: U.S. Manufacturing Plants GHG Efficiency (2009 Baseline)
|Avoided GHGs (metric tons)||
|Change in productivity - GHGs/$1000 revenue||
|Change in absolute GHGs||
In 2011, Accellent achieved these results largely through operational efficiency improvements, growing revenue without significantly increasing energy consumption. Specific actions and initiatives in 2011 include:
- Leveled utilization across all facilities to reduce operating costs
- Repaired air compressor leak in Brooklyn Park
- Conducted energy audits in Orchard Park and Brooklyn Park locations
In 2011 and 2012, Accellent is continuing to focus on energy efficiency at its facilities and is considering or actively implementing additional improvements, such as:
- Responding to energy reduction opportunities outlined in energy audits
- Continuing to upgrade production floor and office lighting systems, including installation of energy management systems
- Upgrading HVAC and air compressor assessments/repairs
- Modifying equipment and processes
- Reducing temperatures in annealing ovens and furnaces
Accellent enrolled in the Green Portfolio Program in 2009 and is reporting results for the third time.
Note: Reported numbers are rounded and may not produce the same results when used to analyze percent changes or total impact.
- In 2009, Accellent set a 2007 baseline for its energy use data. In 2010, Accellent implemented a new energy data collection methodology across its facilities, which resulted in more comprehensive energy use data across its facilities, starting with 2009 energy consumption data. As a result of the new data collection methodology at Accellent, Accellent’s GPP results are now calculated against a 2009 baseline, the earliest year for which the more comprehensive data are available.
For more information on KKR’s responsible investment efforts, go to www.kkr2011esg.com.