The Green Solutions Platform (GSP) is KKR's global effort to identify, support, and highlight environmental initiatives at KKR portfolio companies across three areas: eco-efficiency, eco-innovation, and/or eco-solutions. The platform is intended to provide KKR with flexibility to engage with and highlight companies that are driving meaningful business and environmental benefits.
- Focuses on innovative projects within companies that drive top line growth, plus environmental benefits
- Examples include Gardner Denver Nash resource-efficient products
How It Works
The Green Solutions Platform applies KKR's approach of assessing, measuring, optimizing, and highlighting performance to support participating portfolio companies' efforts to manage their environmental impacts while also seeking to improve their businesses.
The program does not apply a one-size-fits-all mandate to a diverse portfolio. Instead, the goal is to uncover and promote eco-innovations and eco-efficiency efforts within our portfolio of investments. By doing this we aim to bring additional resources to bear upon existing or new priorities.
KKR Capstone,i a team of operational executives who work exclusively with KKR and its portfolio companies, helps to make this program work. These executives are on the ground at many of our companies and drive operational efforts for this program as they do other operational priorities at the companies in which KKR invests.
For more on the program process, please see thedocument. The model we seek to use for companies participating in eco-efficiency and eco-innovation looks as follows:
Select or Review Area of Focus
- Review current business practices that drive environmental impact.
- Assess opportunities for improvement that result in business and environmental benefits.
Establish Metrics & Baseline
- Establish key metrics for assessing performance.
- Collect historical data & establish baselines for selected metrics.
Develop Goals & Plan
- Develop and implement plan with goals, timeline, and applicable KKR resources.
Measure & Report Results
- Track & report to KKR on performance against baseline.
- Reassess areas of focus & amend action plan as necessary.
Resources for Participating Portfolio Companies
KKR has developed a series of proprietary tools and resources for portfolio companies engaged as part of this platform.
- KKR and KKR Capstonei Experts:
- Access to KKR and KKR Capstonei experts in corporate sustainability strategy and energy management, including a full-time energy experti dedicated to our portfolio and summer Climate Corps fellows from Environmental Defense Fund to assist companies across our private equity, real estate, and energy and infrastructure asset classes with energy efficiency and management
- KKR Network:
- Networking with fellow portfolio company executives and best practice sharing via in-person conferences and/or informal networking
- GPP Handbooks and Checklists:
- Guidance from 11 comprehensive handbooks with prioritized recommendations and action plan worksheets
- Global and Regional Communications Platform:
- Support with reaching portfolio companies’ key audiences with customized media access and stories
- Regional Guides of Vendors and Consultants:
- References to known vendors or experts on relevant issues globally
- External Experts:
- Insight from KKR’s partners, which include thought leaders in corporate environmental and sustainability programs
The Green Solutions Platform (GSP) evolved from our Green Portfolio Program (GPP), which launched in 2008 and reported results through 2014. Companies engaged in the GSP can learn from the experiences and results of our Green Portfolio Program participants. Click here for history of the GPP and a summary of results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please view the contact form.for more information on the KKR Green Solutions Platform. You can also reach out to us via our
i KKR Capstone is not an affiliate or subsidiary of KKR. Please see the Description of Methodology and Terms for additional disclosure regarding KKR Capstone.