- 4.1: Accellent
- 4.2: A.T.U.
- 4.3: Bharti Infratel
- 4.4: Biomet
- 4.5: Bis Industries Limited
- 4.6: Capsugel
- 4.7: Dalmia Bharat Cement
- 4.8: Del Monte Foods
- 4.9: Dollar General
- 4.10: First Data
- 4.11: HCA
- 4.12: KION Group
- 4.13: MMI
- 4.14: Oriental Brewery
- 4.16: Pets at Home
- 4.17: PRIMEDIA, Inc.
- 4.18: Sealy
- 4.19: SunGard
- 4.20: Tarkett
- 4.21: TDC A/S
- 4.22: US Foods
- 4.23: Van Gansewinkel Groep
- 4.24: Versatel
- 4.25: Visant
- 4.26: WILD Flavors
The KKR Green Portfolio Program continues to deliver a financial and environmental impact. The results issued in December 2012 marks the fourth time that the program has announced progress from its participating private equity portfolio companies.
Since its inception in 2008, 25 portfolio companies have taken part in the Green Portfolio Program. Sixteen of the participating KKR portfolio companies released results in 2012.1 Collectively, through their efforts in key areas, these companies have achieved more than $644 million in financial impact and avoided 1.2 million metric tons of GHG emissions, 3.4 million tons of waste, and 13.2 million cubic meters of water use.
|Company||Estimated Environmental Impact||Estimated Financial Impact|
|Accellent||4,600 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided||$474,000|
|A.T.U.||7,200 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
187,000 tons of waste recycled
|Biomet||7,200 tons of GHG emissions avoided||$2.5 million|
|Dollar General||723,000 tons of GHG emissions avoided
3.4 million tons of waste avoided
|First Data||44,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avided||$3.8 million|
|HCA||107,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided||$22.7 million|
|Oriental Brewery||60,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
13 million cubic meters of water use avoided
|Pets at Home||6,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
6,000 tons of waste avoided
|Sealy Corporation||18,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
1,900 million pounds of waste avoided
|SunGard||87,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided||$12.1 million|
|Tarkett||15,000 tons of waste avoided
155,000 cubic meters of water use avoided
|TDC||3,600 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
72 tons of waste avoided
|US Foods||189,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided||$35.8 million|
|Van Gansewinkel||559,000 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided2||$76.4 million|
|WILD Flavors||5,700 metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
2,400 tons of waste avoided
83.6 cubic meters of water use avoided
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions||1.2 million metric tons of GHG emissions avoided
|Waste4||3.4 million tons of waste avoided
|Water5||13.2 million cubic meters of water use avoided
|Program cumulative results for 2008-2011|
Please view the Frequently Asked Questions guide for more information on the KKR Green Portfolio Program.
The above are all the portfolio companies participating in the Green Portfolio Program. These specific portfolio companies identified are not representative of all of the portfolio companies purchased, sold or recommended for KKR Funds and vehicles, and it should not be assumed that the investment in the portfolio company identified was or will be profitable. The reported impact of initiatives of the Green Portfolio Program is based on internal analysis of KKR and/or KKR Capstone and information provided by the applicable portfolio company. Impacts of such initiatives are estimates that have not been verified by a third party and are not necessarily reported according to established voluntary standards or protocols. KKR does not guarantee the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of such information. They may also reflect the influence of external factors, such as macroeconomic or industry trends. There is no guarantee that results shown will be replicated in the future and actual results may be better or worse in future years. Please review the methodology and terms used in the Green Portfolio Program for more information.
- PRIMEDIA, Inc., a member of the GPP since 2008, is no longer a KKR portfolio company, and thus, is not reporting 2011 results. Eight portfolio companies, Bharti Infratel, Bis Industries Limited, Capsugel, Dalmia Bharat Cement, Del Monte Foods, Kion Group, MMI, and Versatel are expected to begin communicating results in 2013.
- Because these impacts come from the generation of green energy versus direct improvements in operations, they are not included in the aggregate GPP environmental results.
- Results from declines in efficiency performance are not included in portfolio company summaries (see methodology document), but are included in the aggregate data analysis. Therefore, estimated environmental and financial benefits communicated in the summary table may sum to more than what is communicated as "total" results, which takes into account the impacts from decreases in efficiency.
- In order to aggregate the results across participating portfolio companies, at some companies, “metric tons” of waste was converted to “short tons” of waste. Therefore, results shown in company narratives may appear not match the results shown in program aggregate results.
- In order to aggregate the results across participating portfolio companies, at some companies, units of measurement for water were converted to cubic meters. Therefore, results shown in the company narratives may appear not match the results shown in the program aggregate results.
For more information on KKR’s responsible investment efforts, go to www.kkr2011esg.com.